Thursday, April 23, 2015

4/20/15 Grateful for help on a rainy day



Truthfully it was hard to find something to be grateful about when water flooded the basement. 


 Did I mention that is where most of Jessie’s Bags takes place? The fabrics and work area are in the space where all of the water came in … so…. First we had to move things around. Any wooden furniture had to be shifted so it was not sitting in water. 

 One thing we could not move is the pool table. Several plastic storage boxes we had fabric in we shifted so they would not get any moisture in them. I turned on a fan to help dry the water up. Wonder what’s wrong with the sump pump it usually works and keeps this from happening.
Well upon further investigation outside. The sump pump pipe outside of the house was under water. Leaves had built a dam and water was pooled in it.


 So I put on my waterproof boots and husbands rain gear and set off to clear the pipe. Let’s just say that was a long 2 hour project in the rain and mud. I had to actually dig a trench from one end of the house to the other for the water to run off. The ground cover had to be pulled up and back to allow me to make a path for the water....



And the leaves from at least 10 trees had to be in that area…. so snow shovel in hand I began to lift wet leaves into a leaf bag. Fortunately at this point my 80 year old mother in law came out to help me. (she also had to take pictures of the process). I would still be working on it two days later if she had not helped me. So I am grateful for the help. Did I mention that was the day I decided to rest? I had not taken a day off in about 2 weeks. 

Grateful I was home to take care of the problem & I didn't have to do it alone. I could have had to do all of that after I spent the day working outside of the house.  I do have something to be grateful about.

No comments: