Wednesday, October 15, 2014

one hour of Jessie making bags... October Breast cancer month

Jessie has been sewing most of her life. She has made wedding gowns, costumes for plays (dramas) and clothes for people without a pattern. She worked in a factory making children’s clothes 6 months to 6 X. She even worked in a bra factory and a tuxedo factory. Most of those jobs are now out of the country.

She makes the bags for breast cancer survivors like she still works in a factory.
This means if I put fabrics together when she is feeling good I look around and she has sewn up everything in sight in just a few hours. I can hardly keep up.


These are the bags she just finished in the last hour.a group of friends will be wearing our bags the week end at a Breast Cancer Walk! 

 she put handles on all of these in 1 hour <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<



 I have never been a person who sews. I could mend a hole or hem my pants but I never made stuff.
As a child mom and I made doll clothes... well mostly it was mom.


Now I find working with the fabric is like therapy for me. It relaxes my mind. I love to be up early in the morning the house is quiet and I can create. I enjoy the colors & textures juxtaposed and positioned just so. Each bag is a new creation since we make our bags out of recycled materials. Someone just gave me an old awning. I look at the scalloped edges and I see pockets for bags. All of our bags are one of a kind. We may never have this fabric again. We often get people who ask can you make me one like this a little smaller or bigger. I usually say no, sorry folks it is what it is. When you see a bag it is unique. And we don’t have them long.

You can’t buy our bags. We don’t have them for sale anywhere at the moment. If you want one of Jessie’s bags you can make a donation through pay pal on the web site and we will give you a bag.

You will usually meet Jessie or her daughter when you get a bag. We tell you about how we started and what our plans are. 
 You can volunteer to help us work on bags and we will give you a bag for helping. We go to senior centers and people volunteer to work with us.
So if you and a group of your friends would like to help us make Jessie’s bags we will hold a build a bag workshop. Contact us to set one up.

Jessiesbags.com or #jessiesbags 

No comments: